Today is "Coge Pon por al Ambiente" day, which is sponsored by Banco Popular de Puerto Rico. Today, they are suggesting that, instead of your normal habit of jumping in your car and screeching away, you take a bus, use the Tren Urbano, or catch a ride with a friend or family member (carpool).
According to the publicity campaign for the event, you could save $7 a day, by permanently switching to one of these transportation alternatives. Of course, for some (most?) people in Puerto Rico, these alternatives just don't seem very reasonable. They require too much sacrifice (investment in the future?) to be viable options.
Ten ways Puerto Rico can save gas
For those people that just can't seem to find a suitable alternative means of transportation, then here are 10 ways that you can save as much gas (and Money) as possible:
- Slow down - Simply reduce your speed.
- Check your tire pressure - Under-inflated tires are one of the most commonly ignored causes of crummy MPG.
- Check your air filter - A dirty air filter harms performance and economy.
- Accelerate with care - accelerate moderately.
- Keep a constant speed - it takes less fuel to keep moving.
- Get back to nature - At lower speeds you'll save fuel. At higher speeds the A/C may be more efficient than the wind resistance from open windows and sunroof.
- Stay with standard tires - Wider tires, will create more rolling resistance and decrease fuel economy.
- Clean out your car - You could carrying an extra 40 or 50 lbs. of stuff.
- Downsize - Smaller cars are more fuel-efficient.
- Don't drive - Duh.
- BONUS: Turn it off - Shut off the engine when waiting in lineups or picking up friends and family.
- DOUBLE BONUS: Switch to regular - Most cars today don't require high-octane premium gas. Check your owner's manual for the recommended octane rating.
- TRIPLE BONUS: Combine all of your small trips - Continuously starting and turning off your car is pretty tough on your gas mileage. If possible, find one location where you can take care of banking, grocery shopping and other chores.